Let me explain...
No, I am not cheating on my husband, but I did have a "blind date" last night. We've been visiting churches, and a girl from FBC contacted me about a home Bible study she was going to be starting to see if Ryan and I were interested. We talked back and forth via email, and we realized that both of our husbands were out of town, so she asked if I'd want to meet up for dinner. I was so glad that she asked because I really haven't had many chances to meet people that live close to us. Since we haven't picked a church, and I'm still not working (more on that to come...) I have really been losing my sanity staying home! I'm out of money to shop with, I've decorated the house all that I can for the moment, and I've already learned my way around the area, so it's been a challenge lately. Not to mention, Ryan's job has been MUCH different than we thought it would be. So far, he has been out of town Monday through Friday every week since he started on August 1st. I see him on the weekends, and then he's off again. I shouldn't complain because at least he's not gone for 7 months and getting shot at, but it's still no fun. I was a little nervous about meeting a complete stranger for dinner. I didn't even know what she looked like! I felt like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail" when she sits at the table with a book and a rose on top of it...and then Tom Hanks sees that its her and stands her up. Yikes! Luckily, it wasn't like that in the least. We had a lot in common and conversation wasn't awkward at all. Whew!
So...I've been looking and looking and looking and looking for a job. I want something part time where I won't have to work weekends, and unfortunately that is ridiculously hard to find!! Anyway, my brother told me about a music secretary job opening at his church--30 hours per week, Monday through Thursday--PERFECT! So I got in touch with the music minister and sent my resume over. Well, last night on my "blind date", my new friend Chantel and I were talking about this job possibility and it turns out she and her husband are great friends with the music minister and his wife! So she was able to put in a good word for me. Small world, huh?!
Sorry, this story is so long and random, but anyway...I was getting ready to go meet Molly for lunch today when Andy, the music minister, called me to see if I could come interview at 2:00. Woo Hoo!! I was super excited...a little nervous...but mostly excited. I had to kindof rush lunch with Molly, but still managed to enjoy my tableside guacamole & tortilla soup...YUM!! So, I was driving to the interview, when I get a phone call...from Andy's wife. She called to tell me that Andy was stranded on I-20 waiting for a tow truck because his car had broken down. He didn't have my number because it was saved on his email up at the church, but luckily, his wife teaches with my new blind date friend Chantel. Chantel had my cell phone because we traded numbers last night, so she was able to call me and let me know that we had to reschedule. Crazy how things work out. If Chantel hadn't emailed me about this Bible study, and hadn't invited me to dinner, and we hadn't gotten each other's numbers, it would've been a big mess!
Okay, so bummer that I don't get to interview, but now I get to go shopping since I'm out anyway, right? So, I'm driving down 121, and I see something funny in the bed of the Dodge truck in front of me. I get a little closer and see that it's a flame. His truck is on fire and he doesn't know it!! I see the guy next to me speed up to flag this guy down and tell him to pull over, so while he does that, I call 9-1-1. I told them exactly what mile we were at and that the truck would be on the right shoulder. Anyway, the driver cut across 3 lanes of traffic, pulled off into the grass, and jumped out right as I see his truck go completely up in flames. It was engulfed with fire! I was so thankful that he jumped out in time! By the time I could pull over, it was too late to be much help, but I did hear sirens in the background, so I knew I had done what I could. SO SCARY!!
Well, I got safely home, and Andy called to reschedule the interview for 10:30 tomorrow (his day off) at Starbucks. Even better!! I'm praying SO hard that this is the job God had planned for me all along. It sounds almost too good to be true, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'd appreciate your prayers, and I'll let ya know what happens. Thanks for putting up with my very long and random story.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Let me explain...
Posted by the thorntons at 4:11 PM
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Molly tagged me to do this, so here goes...
The Game of Tag about your MAN:
1. Who is your man? Jared Ryan Thornton
2. How long have you been together? Married for 5, but 8 years total
3. How long did you date? We dated "unofficially" for about 3 months, and then we were "official" for 2 years and 2 months, then were engaged for 7 months.
4. How old is your man? 28
5. Who eats more? Well, it used to be him 100%, but after his last tour to Iraq, he doesn't eat as much. What happened?!?!
6. Who said "I love you" first? He did...FINALLY. I wanted to for about a year before he ever told me, but was too stubborn to give in. Stupid, huh?
7. Who is taller? Ryan by almost an inch!
8. Who sings better? Not to toot my own horn, but I think we would both agree that I do...no question. Ryan won't even let me hear him sing, but I think he can actually carry a tune.
9. Who is smarter? Both of us at different things. I'm smarter at English, spelling & random trivia kind of stuff, and Ryan's smarter at scientific things and real-life/practical stuff. We're a good balance.
10. Whose temper is worse? MINE...although I wouldn't want to be the one to make Ryan mad for the 1 in a million chance he does lose his temper.
11. Who does the laundry? Both of us, but usually me.
12. Who takes out the garbage? Usually me.
13. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Harley & I do...Jack and Ryan sleep on the left, but when Ryan is gone (which is MOST of the time) the dogs and I sleep right in the middle. I learned in my military wife days that it's more depressing to have an empty half of the bed!
14. Who pays the bills? Me...always.
15. Who is better with the computer? Me...if our computer is messing up, I just ask Ryan to leave the room and it suddenly works. It's become a family joke that Ryan's presence makes computers crash. It's pretty hilarious.
16. Who mows the lawn? Lately it's been Ryan (praise the Lord!), but in North Carolina it was me or the yard guy I finally hired.
17. Who cooks dinner? Me. Geez...what's wrong with this picture?!?!
18. Who drives when you are together? Ryan...I think my driving terrifies him.
19. Who pays when you go out? Ryan...it's all the same account though, so it doesn't really matter does it?
20. Who is most stubborn? I'll have to admit, we are both equally hard-headed in different circumstances. Our children don't have a prayer!
21. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? Ryan
22. Whose parents do you see the most? Well, we see Ryan's more often for shorter periods of time since they live close, but we see mine for longer periods of time when we do see them...so I don't really know.
23. Who kissed who first? Ryan kissed me...while watching Austin Powers on the couch at my duplex our Sophomore year. The collar of his shirt got caught in my mouth, so now we have to re-enact that moment often. He also didn't call me the next day, so I thought it was over and that I was a bad kisser!! Obviously not.
24. Who asked who out? He asked me...in front of our entire speech class. I was mortified, but how could I say no?!? Smart guy.
25. Who proposed? He did.
26. Who is more sensitive? Me...absolutely 100%.
27. Who has more friends? I probably have more that I actually keep in touch with, but we're probably equal on that one.
28. Who has more siblings? Ryan...1 step-bro & 1 step-sis.
29. Who wears the pants in the family? Is it terrible for me to say that I think I might!?!?
I tag Robin, Natalie, Tiffani & Andrea
Posted by the thorntons at 3:39 PM
Monday, September 17, 2007
WARNING COOPER COUGAR FANS!!! I was a traitor of the worst kind on Friday night. I went to the Flower Mound Marcus game for the 10 year reunion of the '97 State Champions. Does anyone remember what happened in '97??? The Marcus Marauders traveled to Shotwell Stadium in Abilene and pummelled the Cougars, knocking them out of the playoffs. I hated them for it because we were supposed to have another shot at state our Senior year! The Marauders went on to win state that year, and little did I know I would fall in love with and marry #32 five years later. It's funny the way things work out.
Here's Ryan scoring a touchdown in the State game 10 years ago, which set a record for the most TD's scored in a 5A state championship game in Texas! I think the record has been broken since then, but I can still brag on him if I want to.
Here's a few from the ceremony at Friday night's game:
Posted by the thorntons at 12:24 PM
Friday, September 07, 2007
5 years ago today I married the man of my dreams and became Mrs. Jared Ryan Thornton. In ways it seems like we've been together our entire lives, but it also seems like just yesterday I was saying "I do." In five years we've been through more than some couples go through in a lifetime, and I'm incredibly blessed to have an amazing man to go through it with. We've lived in 5 different cities & 3 different states, bought 2 houses, 2 cars & 1 puppy, endured 3 military deployments totaling 26 months apart from each other, made it through 8 months of dive school in Houston, and now here we are. With all that we've been through, I feel like our life is just beginning!!
Last weekend (a weekend early), we "got away" for our anniversary even though it wasn't very far. We went to the Embassy Suites Outdoor World in Grapevine, which was the hotel we stayed at before flying to Mexico for our honeymoon. The first time we stayed there, we didn't get to relax much because we checked in at 11:00 pm after driving from Abilene after the wedding, and then we had to leave at 4:30 a.m. to catch our 5:45 a.m. flight. What were we thinking?!? Anyway, this time was much more relaxing, and we had NO schedule which was the best part. I must be the coolest wife ever to voluntarily book a hotel that is directly attached to Bass Pro Shop. There was definitely a magnetic force pulling Ryan to that store all weekend, and I patiently waited while he bought a new fishing pole, some tackle, and got his hunting license. How romantic! We went to a few wine tastings, ate good food, shopped, and just laid around being "us". That's my favorite thing to do!
Posted by the thorntons at 6:00 PM