Monday, February 02, 2009

Part 2

After I came out of recovery, I was taken upstairs to a really nice room with a decent view and a plasma TV. I was also given a morphine drip which I could pump every 6 minutes. Woo Hoo!!! Or so I thought...evidently morphine doesn't do anything to help my pain but it does make me really nauseated and dizzy. The first night was awful. I didn't get to even try to sleep until 4:30am because my pulse monitor and oxygen machine were beeping every 10 seconds because my heart rate was out of control. My mom was staying with me, and she said it read 160 beats per minute at one point. Definitely not normal for a healthy heart rate. I was just already overwhelmed, and when the machines beeped it stressed me out even more. Then nurses would come in threatening to stick me with things, which also stressed me out. I couldn't relax.

After a horrible night of sleep, the doctor came in first thing to tell me that I would NOT be going home that day even though he had told me I would. (SO SAD!) He wanted to keep me another day because the surgery had been so extensive and it had taken so much longer. He was also concerned about my high heart rate, but I told him I just needed to go home and my heart would be fine. I'm sure he thought I was an idiot, but I knew best! I had a day full of visitors, nurses in & out, flowers, horrible food (which I couldn't eat anyway), physical therapy people smothering me and trying to get me up on crutches, and a lot more pain. I just couldn't get a handle on the pain, but all of my sweet family & friends who called and stopped by really made my day fly by and kept my mind off the pain as much as possible. Thank you ALL!!! I had begged my day nurses to talk to my doctor about upping my pain pill dosage so that I could pump less of the morphine, but they didn't seem too interested. When my wonderful night nurse Melissa came, she called my doctor right away to get the OK and told me that I could take my pain pills by mouth every 3-4 hours instead of every 6. That evening, I decided to try to depend mostly on my pain pills and wean myself off of the morphine, and that did the trick. I was still in pain, but at least my heart rate was in check, my machines weren't beeping, and I was getting an appetite again. It also meant that if I wasn't dependant on my morphine drip I had a chance of going home! Forgive the nastiness of this picture. I looked horrible the whole time I was there, and unfortunately I felt even worse than I looked. I hate that people saw me like this!
My nurse during the last day was wonderful. Her son goes to Hardin-Simmons, so we all made quick friends and she took extra special care of me. Sure enough, the bone specialist finally came in and told me that he was okay with releasing me, but that he wanted the internal medicine doctor to come give me his release also. UGH. I just wanted OUT! The internal medicine doctor showed up and decided that he wanted to run tests on my thyroid, which meant more BLOODWORK. The dreaded mention of the word sent my heart rate from normal to 155 bpm in 3 seconds. Seriously, don't these people just believe me when I say I have severe hospital anxiety!?!? I waited another 2 hours and finally he came in and said, "Everything looks good, you were right, you can go." YAY!!! So, my parents packed up my things and we headed home. I'm sure we looked hilarious loading me into their car because I had to ride in the back as "cargo" because I couldn't stretch out anywhere else. I felt every bump in the road on the 30 minute drive home, which was less than comfortable, but once I sat down in my own living room, I felt like a new woman!
Part 3: Life at Home...coming soon.


GateWay said...

okay... I wasn't going to leave another comment, but I just had to... as I was reading and commiserating in the post I was listening to your music and I thought "how ironic one of her favorite songs is about 'all she wants to do is rock and sew.. and now this happens'... then I got to the end of the post and saw the name of the song... "Rock my soul"... oh well... guess this is surely an age thing huh? Thank you for giving me a good laugh (and a sincere sympathy as well)... hope home is good and that it brings peace the hospital certainly didn't.

Justin and Rachel Smith said...

This is a HORRIBLE story! I can't believe this! Justin told me about this weekend and I can't believe it! Yep, I'm just saying the same thing over and over again because I'm STUNNED!
I'm praying for you that you'll recover soon!

Laura said...

oh my gosh SARAH!! what an ordeal -- I was near tears during part one -- hope you feel better soon!

kristin fulghum said...

oh my goodness! i'm so glad you are okay. that sounds horrible...i'll be praying for you.

Brett and Erin said...

wow! I'm so sorry you've had to go through all this-- we'll be praying and hoping for a quick recovery =)

Alida Smith Barnes said...

What a saga! I'm so sorry you've had to experience this. We'll definitely keep you in our prayers. I must say, though, that you're beautiful even in a hospital bed!